Sciatica is often caused by inflammation in the longest and largest nerve in the body, the sciatic nerve.
Compression of this nerve produces symptoms such as burning pain, tingling and numbness coursing down the buttock and rear of the leg.
Typical causes are nerve irritation and compression from wear and tear in the low back.
The good news is chiropractic has been found to be more effective than other treatment methods such as medical traction, painkillers, rest and surgery.1-5
- Turbach F, Beautu J, Leclerc A. Natural history and prognostic indicators of sciatica. J Clin. Epidemiol. 2004;57(2):174-179.
- Bronfort G, Evans RL, Anderson AV et al. Non-operative treatment for sciatica: A pilot study for a randomized clinical trial. JMPT 2000;23(8):536-544.
- Patrick CAJ, Vroomen MD, Marc CTFM et al. Lacjk of effectiveness of bed rest for sciatica. NEJM. 1999;340:418-423.
- Richards GL et al. Low force chiropractic care of two patients with sciatic neuropathy and lumbar disc herniation. Am J Chiro Med. 1990;3(1):25-32.
- Cox JM & Schnreiner. Chiropractic manipulation in low back pain and sciatica: statistical data on the diagnosis, treatment and reponse of 575 consecutive cases. JMPT, 1982;7:1-11.
Would you like to book an appointment with us?
Our online booking system is available 24/7 for your convenience. It is quick and easy, and your appointment will be confirmed immediately.